On March 11, 2011, a M-9.0 earthquake followed by tsunami hit the regions of Tohoku.
- Distance from the epicenter to the shore: 72km (45 miles) east of Tohoku
- Depth at: 32km (19.9 miles) underwater
- Duration of the earthquake: 6 minutes
- The height of tsunami waves caused by this earthquake: up to 37.9 meters (124 ft), traveling up to 10 km (6 mi) inland
- Time the earthquake hit: 14:46 Japan time
- Time the tsunami hit the regions: 15:20 Japan time
- Total affected area: 561 sq. km (216 sq. miles)
- Evacuated: 65,753 individuals (Ministry of Foreign Affairs, as of October 11, 2011)
- Death toll: 15,826 (Asahi Newspaper, as of October 20, 2011)
- Missing: 3,820 (Nishinippon Newspaper, as of October 20, 2011)
- Orphans (both parents missing or killed): 206(NHK, as of June 17, 2011)
A man films the tsunami swallowing a small town where he lived and worked, from the very moment the sea level started to raise till it swept away most of the buildings in the area. He cries as he films and screams the tsunami to stop. One of the raw footages I came across on internet.